DIY Mods

transformer cooling fans

Laney Hot Transformer Cooling Update

I’ve been using the transformer cooling fan mod to control the transformer heat issue for awhile now and I can say now that it works great. The Noise Blocker Silent fans made all the difference. Also got some black blade guards so I don’t stick my fingers in the blades (they don’t really hurt or […]

Read More
seismic luke-1x12TR speaker cab to amp cab

Seismic Speaker Cab Becomes Amp Cab For Laney Tube Combo

Laney Cub 12R gets a new home Ever since I found out the Laney was basically made of cardboard (read about it here) it’s been buggin the shit out of me. So I fixed it. It would take too long to build a custom amp cab from scratch so I decided to convert an existing […]

Read More
diy modding stomp box layourt

DIY Modding First Time Tips

So you want to get into diy modding your own gear You’ve probably seen the forum conversations of dudes talking about modding their own gear or even building some themselves (like stomp boxes) and you think you’d like to get into some of that diy modding stuff too but don’t know how to get started. […]

Read More
animated celestion v type

Cub 12R Gets a New Celestion V Type

Heard some demo clips of the Celestion V Type 8Ω speaker and really like what I heard. In the demos it sounded like a good cross section of a Vintage 30 and a Greenback and maybe something else as well. So at the price they are going for on Amazon I grabbed one.  $97.00 and […]

Read More

Laney Cub 12R Hot Transformer Solution

I had some doubts about this little combo since I discovered the cab is made of compressed cardboard or some shit which was a shocker (read about it here). But I love the tones I’m getting out of it so I’m hanging in to improve the quality as much as I can. So after recovering […]

Read More
bias adjust knob placement

Bias Adjust Non-Locking But Secure Pot

If you ever thought about installing an external bias adjustment pot but wanted to use a regular pot instead of a locking style I have the solution. This will let you use a standard linear taper pot that is secure and won’t move on incidental contact. In fact it takes a bit of force to […]

Read More
candy apple red telecaster

Sharp Frets Easy Fix

Sometimes a good deal comes with some not so great extras. Like the Telecaster I just got. It’s a Squier, but it’s a beauty. The Candy Apple Red finish is flawless, and the electronics are acceptable, but it had sharp frets poking out from the fretboard. They weren’t horrible but annoying enough that they had […]

Read More
guitar mono output jack

New Design 1/4″ Output Jack PureTone

Finally, a fresh take on a tried and true, but old, design. The 1/4″ output jack. Until now the best available was from Switchcraft and the design hasn’t changed much for several decades. But there’s a new kid on the block that could potentially knock Switchcraft out of the top spot, and that company is […]

Read More

Guitar Tone Capacitor Comparison Test

Trying to decide which capacitor to use for tone caps is not as easy as it really should be. I mean all the different types and values and it seems everyone has their favorite, and of course the tone is subjective to the listener

Read More

Joyo Ultimate Drive Just Got Better

My craigslist $30 Joyo Ultimate Drive just got even better! It was a great sounding overdrive right out of the box for sure. It’s been compared to a Freakish Blues Alpha Drive, or more precisely they are the same drive with a few different component values. I found a mod that is supposed to make […]

Read More